Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Financial Side of Adoption


I think it’s common knowledge that adoption is not a cheap endeavor. I’ve had people ask me how we can pay for this adoption and I’m sure there are plenty of other people who don’t ask for fear of overstepping personal boundaries. Well, I’m a pretty open person and I believe that questions about our adoption just give me more opportunities to share God’s hand in our lives. I’ll be frank, when we started this journey we were doing well financially. At that point it seemed quite affordable and more importantly we both knew God was leading us to this.

As God would have it, as soon as we were accepted as adoptive parents (in April 2008) by our agency our financial status began to slowly change. Over the past year and a half our finances have slowly dwindled, and we are financially nowhere close to where we were at the beginning of this journey. I don’t say this to solicit sympathy or money…God has been faithful to provide (of course!) and in this path we are learning to really, really lean on Him, trust Him, and be faithful even when life doesn’t appear to be “panning out” nicely. I am learning so much by being in this place…and I know I have much more to learn.

I say all of this because I found a post written by an adoptive father whose reflections on faith, money and adoption also reflect my heart. I could rewrite it, but his words are perfect, so I’ll just borrow them and tell you, that his beliefs and heart are also mine. Please read his post and really think about what he says. It is applicable reagrdless of where you are in life.

Read his post by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment