Monday, November 23, 2009

A quote from: The Confessions of St. Augustine

I'm currently reading The Confessions of St. Augustine as part of my daily devotions . The Modern English Version is very easy to read and offfers some deep reflections on being a sinnner, and yet being a child of God. Here is one excerpt which I found particularly moving.

"Oh that I might rest on You, Dear Lord.

Oh, that You would enter my heart and make it intoxicated, so that I might forget all woes and embrace You, my only good.

What are You to me? Take pity on me and teach me how to express it.

What am I to you that You demands my love and care enough to be angry and threaten me with grievous woes if I do not give it? It is no small woe if I do not love You."

Page 18; The Confessions of St. Augustine (Modern English Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment