Monday, March 30, 2009

Why Adopt?


Since I was in high school, I have always wanted to adopt. God placed that desire in my heart at a very young age. This desire did not wane when I married my husband. He knew my heart from the very beginning, but I knew he did not feel the same way. As time progressed, God blessed us with three healthy and handsome boys. Adoption was placed on the backburner for a while, but when my youngest started kindergarten, God reawakened that desire. I mentioned it to Mark, and I could tell he was still not interested. My close friend and mentor suggested I begin to pray about it and not say a word to my husband about it in the meantime. So this is what I did. I began praying in the fall of 2007 about adoption and when spring of 2008 rolled around with little change in my husband, I began to think God was closing this door.

Then one evening, I was folding clothes and contemplating domestic adoption (My brother adopted two little girls domestically and had given me some information to read) I decided that my heart was really stuck on international adoption. About 2 hours later, my husband came home. He had been trying to decide where to invest some extra money we had in checking, and told me that he just had no peace about any option. We had been discussing this for a couple weeks with no resolution. He finally said that the only option that he felt peace about was adopting! I about fell out of my seat and then I almost starting crying! God had brought our heart to the same place on the same night!


Needless to say the rest is history! We are both so excited about this adoption! The boys can’t wait and they will make wonderful big brothers. It is amazing how God has prepared each one of us to love this little girl and I know He will place the perfect baby with our family. Truly God has changed our desires and placed His desires in our hearts. It reminds me of the verse, “Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment