Saturday, June 4, 2011

Idolatry


I read an interesting post on indentifying idolatry in your life. It was pointed, direct, and telling. Here is an excerpt:


"Life only has meaning/I only have worth if…

  • I have power and influence over others." (Power Idolatry)
  • I am loved and respected by _____." (Approval Idolatry)
  • I have this kind of pleasure experience, a particular quality of life." (Comfort idolatry)
  • I am able to get mastery over my life in the area of _____." (Control idolatry)
  • people are dependent on me and need me." (Helping Idolatry)
  • someone is there to protect me and keep me safe." (Dependence idolatry)
  • I am completely free from obligations or responsibilities to take care of someone." (Independence idolatry)
  • I am highly productive and getting a lot done." (Work idolatry)
  • I am being recognized for my accomplishments, and I am excelling in my work." (Achievement idolatry)
  • I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and very nice possessions." (Materialism idolatry)
  • I am adhering to my religion's moral codes and accomplished in its activities." (Religion idolatry)
  • this one person is in my life and happy to be there, and/or happy with me." (Individual person idolatry)
  • I feel I am totally independent of organized religion and am living by a self-made morality." (Irreligion idolatry)
  • my race and culture is ascendant and recognized as superior." (Racial/cultural idolatry)
  • a particular social grouping or professional grouping or other group lets me in." (Inner ring idolatry)
  • my children and/or my parents are happy and happy with me." (Family idolatry)
  • Mr. or Ms. "Right" is in love with me." (Relationship Idolatry)
  • I am hurting, in a problem; only then do I feel worthy of love or able to deal with guilt." (Suffering idolatry)
  • my political or social cause is making progress and ascending in influence or power." (Ideology idolatry)
  • I have a particular kind of look or body image." (Image idolatry)
The second part of his post was really direct as well!

If you seek POWER (success, winning, influence)…

  • Your greatest nightmare: Humiliation
  • People around you often feel: Used
  • Your problem emotion: Anger
If you seek APPROVAL (affirmation, love, relationships)…

  • Your greatest nightmare: Rejection
  • People around you often feel: Smothered
  • Your problem emotion: Cowardice
If you seek COMFORT (privacy, lack of stress, freedom)…

  • Your greatest nightmare: Stress, demands
  • People around you often feel: Neglected
  • Your problem emotion: Boredom
If you seek CONTROL (self-discipline, certainty, standards)…

  • Your greatest nightmare: Uncertainty
  • People around you often feel: Condemned
  • Your problem emotion: Worry
Here is the LINK if you'd like to read the post it in its entirety: Its a very convivting post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment